Job Title: Program Associate
Organization: Story Works Alaska
Core Purpose: Support and connect youth through stories.
Core Values: Listening, equity, inclusion, and kindness.
Compensation: $18-20 per hour, depending on experience
Classification: non-exempt; hourly
Employment type: part-time, temporary
Hours: Part-Time Position (25 hours/week)
Reports to: Story Works Alaska Acting Executive Director
Location: Anchorage, AK. Desk provided in office space shared space with other youth organizations.
Hiring Timeline: Applications will be closed at 5pm on October 12th.
Summary of Position:
Story Works Alaska seeks a creative and highly motivated individual to advance our organization’s commitment to supporting youth voices. The Program Associate will focus on the areas of program delivery, communications, and volunteer management. Successfully complete other duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate will have proven experience in most or all of the following: volunteer management, communications, education/positive youth development, and social equity. This position will be a part of a supportive, hard working, and creative team and has the potential for growth with the organization.
Story Works Alaska is an Alaska nonprofit organization with federal 501(c)3 non-profit status pending. This nine month position is contingent on funding availability.
▪ Work closely with the Acting Executive Director to set priorities and carry out program goals;
▪ Lead communications and information sharing, including writing newsletters, blog posts, website updates, social media, reports, and other public-facing outreach;
▪ Organize events and facilitate volunteer involvement;
▪ Support program evaluation efforts;
▪ Engage in and support fundraising efforts;
▪ Serve as a representative of the organization at events;
▪ Additional responsibilities to be identified, as the program evolves.
▪ Demonstrated knowledge and relevant experience in education and/or positive youth development;
▪ Proven history of engaging with and positively impacting diverse communities;
▪ Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
▪ Strong time-management skills, with the ability to meet goals and deadlines while working independently;
▪ Adept with social media and web-based outreach tools;
▪ Commitment to inclusion and equity;
▪ Some driving and travel required. Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
▪ Self-starter who shows initiative and is eager to support youth as they explore their stories;
▪ Professional and able to work in support of youth while also respecting adult-youth boundaries;
▪ Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task;
▪ Detail-oriented and extremely well-organized;
▪ Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build trust and maintain relationships with partners and volunteers; and
This position will occasionally involve transportation of materials (up to 30 lbs) into schools and events. These materials can be placed in a rolling travel case for ease of transportation.
Story Works Alaska will provide desk space in an office shared with other youth organizations. Scheduling will be somewhat flexible but will need to accommodate partner teacher schedules. Travel opportunities outside of Anchorage may be available.
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for two professional references to email@example.com with “Program Associate Application” in the subject line. Receipt of your application will be acknowledged with an email reply. No phone calls please.
Story Works Alaska is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, and background.
NOTES: Any description of work is a picture of the major responsibilities of a position at a given point in time. Jobs are dynamic and assignments/priorities may change. It is not intended or implied to be an employment contract but is a communication tool to explain the responsibilities, advertise the job, and identify performance measures and potential training needs. This position is funded for nine months, and although it is expected that employment will continue for that duration of time, Story Works Alaska is an at-will employer.