What is Youth4Change?
Founded in the summer of 2020, Youth4Change has been led by BIPOC youth who bring their ideas to the space in addressing and minimizing the oppression of BIPOC youth in the education system.
Membership/ How to Join Youth4Change
Youth4Change is open to all BIPOC youth in Alaska ages 12-24 who are interested in sharing ideas, taking action and connecting. The group hosts weekly meetings on Wednesdays from 7-8pm over zoom.
Please contact Nithya Thiru (email@example.com / 907-887-9187) to get involved. You can also follow Youth4Change on Instagram (@youthbipoc4change).
Anti-Racist Curriculum for High School English & History Classrooms
Youth4Change developed an anti-racist curriculum for high school students, and piloted their lessons plans with Seniors at West High School in the spring of 2021. Based on student feedback, members of Youth4Change have been working to update materials and lessons, and make them available to educators. As curriculum is updated, it will be added to this Curriculum Library.
If you are interested in working with Youth4Change in your classroom, please contact Nithya Thiru (firstname.lastname@example.org / 907-887-9187).
Past & Current Projects
- Youth4Change developed a reading guide for the Anchorage Public Library’s Anchorage Reads program during the 2020-21 school year. Learn more about Anchorage Read, and download the guide here.
- In the Spring of 2021, Youth4Change was awarded a Youth Matter Grant. Members used funding awarded to develop an anti-racist curriculum for use in high school English classrooms, which they taught in partnership with a teacher at West High. This curriculum will be available online soon!
- Youth4Change hosted Story Circles for BIPOC youth, which created a space for sharing stories, listening and connecting.
- Youth4Change has been features through the following organizations:
- Alaska Black Caucus – Youth Panel
- Alaska Teen Media Institute – Zoom Room Interview with Story Works Alum Cornilius Nelson
- Spirit of Youth, Youth Leadership Connection – Presentation on Anti-Racism work
- Elders & Youth Conference – Presentation on Anti-Racism work
- Youth4Change is currently gearing up for the new school year. Upcoming projects include continued facilitation of anti-racist curriculum in high school classrooms, local advocacy, education and outreach on issues of racism and representation through social media, and possibly making a zine and a film!
Thank you so much for wanting to support BIPOC youth in our community. We’ve had a lot of questions about how White Allies can be involved in anti-racism work, so we gathered some resources here from the allyship community. We encourage you to look into local opportunities for allies and to educate yourself on anti-racism. If you are interested in joining our semesterly Anti-Racism book club, please email email@example.com to get connected.